Promoting People, Planet, and Prosperity in Howe Sound / Atl'Kitsem
We are a group of local residents from different backgrounds who share a passion for the natural beauty, incredible biodiversity, rich cultural heritage, and great sustainable economic potential of Howe Sound / Atl'Kitsem.
New and collaborative ways of working together are needed if we are to create positive change for the Howe Sound Region into the future.
We are preparing and building support for an initiative to obtain a United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Man and Biosphere Program designation for a Howe Sound Biosphere Region.
We chose the Biosphere Region model because of its potential to:
- Connect people with nature
- Combine locally relevant knowledges and experiences with international recognition, networks, and research
- Realize the UN’s Global Sustainable Development Goals through practical and innovative partnerships and initiatives
Our Vision is a Howe Sound region where biodiversity is protected so that people and commerce benefit from a sustainable economy. A region where all who visit, work and play, are able to enjoy and contribute to the area’s natural, cultural, and social resources.
Our mission for this initiative is to:
- Build local, regional, and national support to nominate Howe Sound as a UNESCO Biosphere Region
- Identify, collect, and incorporate the right information and resources to successfully apply for and achieve designation of Howe Sound as a United Nations UNESCO Biosphere Region
- Develop an operational structure for a UN Howe Sound Biosphere Region organization
In the process, we aim to:
- Share information about what UNESCO biosphere regions are and how they can promote sustainable practices
- Learn from diverse communities and stakeholders what is important to them about Howe Sound and its future
- Encourage new conversations and deepen existing ones about how we can live sustainably together in Howe Sound
- Build on existing networks, relationships, and initiatives in and around Howe Sound with similar visions and compatible goals
- Collaboratively develop an adaptable, inclusive, diverse, innovative, and sustainable operational structure for a UNESCO Howe Sound Biosphere Region
- Provide logistical support for organizations who have overlapping missions
In our mission, we are guided by the following values and frameworks:
- Appreciating, protecting, and promoting ecosystem diversity and viability
- Acknowledging and respecting First Nations’ titles, rights, traditions, and knowledges
- Building respectful relationships among peoples and communities
- Encouraging constructive dialogue through inviting diversity of voices and respecting differences of opinion
- Focusing on strengths and celebrating successes
- Sharing responsibility and promoting accountability
- Promoting understanding of what systems are and how they interact
- Sharing and building knowledge and innovative, creative solutions
- UNESCO’s Man and the Biosphere Program defines Biosphere Reserves as models for sustainable development.
- United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.
- United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.